A new port should provide the future-focused trading gateway to Australia in a sustainable way – ecologically, economically and socially.
Sustainability is all about balancing three dimensions:
- Ecological: consciously considering the natural environment and energy.
- Economic: improving the competitive position of the port and the region.
- Social: improving the quality of life in the city and region.
The world is understanding that sustainable solutions are not only preferred, but essential; that environmental gains and economic development can be compatible; and that together, these can lead to innovative and cost-saving solutions.
WHA aims for sustainability to be taken into account in all phases of the project and in all sub-projects.It advocates the following dual objectives for the development of the port:
- Improving the competitive position of the port and industry in the region, and
- Improving the quality of the living environment in the region.
From design, to construction and operation the priority is to learn from the best international solutions and to tailor these to local conditions.